In this episode of The Kenyan Experiment we explore the Maasai and the Nandi, the prophets who shaped their journey through the colonial march in Kenya and the varied and fascinating forms of protest the people adopted.
- Greenstein, Lewis J. “The Impact of Military Service in World War I on Africans: The Nandi of Kenya.” The Journal of Modern African Studies, vol. 16, no. 3, 1978, pp. 495–507. JSTOR, www.jstor.org/stable/160040.
- Anderson, David. “Stock Theft and Moral Economy in Colonial Kenya.” Africa: Journal of the International African Institute, vol. 56, no. 4, 1986, pp. 399–416. JSTOR, www.jstor.org/stable/1159997
- Tignor, Robert L. “The Maasai Warriors: Pattern Maintenance and Violence in Colonial Kenya.” The Journal of African History, vol. 13, no. 2, 1972, pp. 271–290. JSTOR, www.jstor.org/stable/180856.
- Anderson, David M. “Black Mischief: Crime, Protest and Resistance in Colonial Kenya.” The Historical Journal, vol. 36, no. 4, 1993, pp. 851–877. JSTOR, www.jstor.org/stable/2640035. Accessed 3 Aug. 2021.
- Githuku, Nicholas. “‘Collaborators’ or ‘Resistors,’ ‘Loyalists’ versus ‘Rebels’: Problematizing Colonial Binary Nomenclatures through the Prism of Dedan Kimathi's Career.” Groundings: Development, Pan-Africanism and Critical Theory, vol. 3, no. 1, 2018, pp. 50–67. JSTOR, www.jstor.org/stable/10.13169/groudevepanacrit.3.1.0050.
- Mungeam, G. H. “Masai and Kikuyu Responses to the Establishment of British Administration in the East Africa Protectorate.” The Journal of African History, vol. 11, no. 1, 1970, pp. 127–143., doi:10.1017/s0021853700037476.
- Waller, Richard. “The Maasai and the British 1895–1905 the Origins of an Alliance.” The Journal of African History, vol. 17, no. 4, 1976, pp. 529–553., doi:10.1017/s002185370001505x.
- Eby, Carl. “‘In the Year of the Maji Maji’: Settler Colonialism, the Nandi Resistance, and Race in The Garden of Eden.” The Hemingway Review, vol. 39, no. 1, 2019, pp. 9–39., doi:10.1353/hem.2019.0015.
- Meinertzhagen, Richard. Kenya Diary, 1902-1906. 1957.
- Matson, A. T. Nandi Resistance to British Rule, 1890-1906. East African Publishing House, 1972.
- Bishop, Dennis. Warriors in the Heart of Darkness: The Nandi Resistance 1850-1897. Geocities, 2000